Friday, April 15, 2011

Creatures of Habit & Cookies

Like most children mine are creatures of habit when it comes to food.  If I were to ask my eleven year old what she wants for supper she'll say spaghetti every time.  My nine year old always wants pizza and my three year old wants ham and mayonnaise sandwiches.  In fact if there is no ham he'll just eat a mayonnaise sandwich.  Yuck!  The same goes for the home baked goods I make them.  I posted in an earlier post that they request the SAME cookies every week and I bake the SAME cookies for them every week and I'm ready for a change.  I got out my favorite cookbook which is all cookies and bars.  I'll be honest I not only love this cookbook for the delicious recipes but for the bright and shiny pictures that it has with almost every recipe!  It's the Taste of Home Cookie cook book.  I gave the kids a choice between four different kinds of cookies and they picked the Peanut Butter Cup cookies.  These cookies are so creamy and delicious!  I love the combination of the peanut butter in the batter along with the big chunks of peanut butter cups.  Even though these cookies are delicious I'd still like to branch out a bit more try perhaps a lemon drop sugar cookie or a cardomom cookie.  When I was growing up my favorite thing to bake were Cardomon Shortbread Wedges and they were delicous!  I dug out the recipe that I had in a family cook book back in 1990.  I was amazed when I realized that I was baking on my own back then. How time flies!  Here is the Peanut Butter Cup cookie recipe.

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
 Ingredients
 Note: Reduced-fat or generic brands of peanut butter are not recommended for this recipe.

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups chopped peanut butter cups (about six 1.6-ounce packages)

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream the butter, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and peanut butter cups.
  • Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 7-1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment