Sunday, February 13, 2011

Inspiration

I find inspiration daily in other mothers.  So much inspiration in fact that I think "Really?  How are these women accomplishing all that they do in their lives?"  I'll be on Face book and see posts from moms who've cleaned the house, baked cookies, ran five miles and sewn three baby blankets all before lunch!  I'd like to know what those mother's are on and where can I get some?  I've got friends and family who are going to college to either get a degree, finish a degree or further their education all while raising kids.  I can't imagine the energy and dedication it takes to go to college, run a household and raise kids.  I know mother's who've started their own businesses, who work full-time, who are work-from-home moms or stay-at-home moms.  Each is important and vital to our society.  Mothers shape the people who are running our country, who are preaching in our churches and who are changing the world.  I bet you never thought about what responsibility that bares, about how the most important job we will ever have is raising our children.

I think inspiration to be better mothers can not only be found in our friends and family members who are mothers but in our friends and family members who are fathers.  I see how my children respond to their father, grandfathers, uncles and family friends who are fathers and I realize that they don't expect them to be perfect or know all the answers.  They just want their undivided attention and that's all they want from me.  They want me to shut down the computer and read them a story, they want me to stop vacuuming to go outside to play and they want me to quit doing the dishes and sit down and eat with them.

Children aren't complicated creatures, they are pretty simple and they too are most inspirational.  They don't know the limitations society puts on people and they don't know the limitations adults put on their selves.  Children believe that anything and everything is possible and that they can be whatever they want to be.  We should take some lessons from them.  I've written before that the biggest risk in life is not taking a risk at all.  I try to force myself to take risks because you never know what will come of them.  If I continue to put myself outside of my comfort zone I believe I will be able to accomplish more than I've ever accomplished.  I wrote a book back in 2005, Mom University: The Student Guide, and it was nerve racking for me to have people to read it.  I realize how strange that may seem because what does one expect when they have a book published but I've always been anxious about others reading my writing.  I realize I need to overcome that fear so I can grow as a writer.  My best work can't come out if I can continue to hold back because I'm afraid of what people will think of my writing.  I started this blog as a way to hone my writing skills and force myself to allow others to read what I write.  In life if you don't take a gamble then you won't lose, but you won't win either.  The safe bet isn't always the best one.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment